Transformer explosions and fires are very damaging and frequent. Many experts anticipate that the number of failures per year will increase significantly in the near future because of the shorter duration life.
Transformer explosions and fires create costly environmental pollution, repairs, plant outages, and are a risk to human lives.
From May 3, 2013 to the present, the TRANSFORMER PROTECTOR (TP) successfully prevented ten large transformer explosions and fires on:
- May 3, 2013, in the Boguchanskaya Hydro Power Plant in Russia on a 400MVA transformer;
- May 14, 2013, in the Adolfo Lopez Mateos Power plant, Mexico, on a 450MVA transformer;
- May 14, 2013, in the Saliyah Super Sub-Station in Qatar on an 800MVA transformer
- June 12, 2013, in the Umm Al Amad Super Station, in Qatar on an 800MVA transformer;
- July 20, 2013, in the Lusail Development Super 2 Station, also in Qatar on an 800MVA transformer;
- August 9, 2013, in the Salto Santiago Hydro Power Plant, Brazil, on a 250MVA transformer.
- August 29, 2013, in the Altamira Substation, Mexico, on a 125MVA transformer.
- September 23, 2015, Boguchanskaya Hydro Power Plant in Russia on a 400MVA transformer.
- February 25, 2016, in the Zambezi Substation on a 315MVA transformer.
- November 09, 2016, in the “Aeroport-Novaya” substation in Kazakhstan on a 63MVA transformer.
In all 10 cases, the TP has prevented the transformers from explosion and fire; no leaks or permanent tank deformation occurred, ultimately saving the transformers, which are under restoration and will be all back in service soon.
ABOUT THE TRANSFORMER PROTECTOR
The TRANSFORMER PROTECTOR is the only proven solution against transformer explosion and fire. The TP complies with NFPA codes 850, which recommend Fast Depressurization Systems for all Power Plants and Substations. There are currently over 2,100 TP installations worldwide.
The TP is activated within 0.5 to 20 milliseconds, depending on arc locations and transformer size, by the first dynamic pressure peak of the shock wave, avoiding transformer explosions before static pressure increases.
186 Avenue du Général de Gaulle
Achères, 78260 FRANCE